Just a blog about movies, sandwiches and a bunch of other random stuff.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Meet The Parents (And Cats)


Yesterday I got in on the classic argument of cats vs. dogs and which one is better, smarter, faster stronger, etc. I am a cat person at heart (mainly due to being terrorized by the dalmatian next door for most of my childhood) and I do not understand why people prefer dogs. I mean you have to walk them, you can't ever leave them at home, and they drool all over the place. Most people I come across are ardent supporters of dogs and so it's nice to come across someone who is on my side of this issue.

And who better to have on your side of an argument than Robert De Niro? I don't know about you, but I would never want to disagree with that man. In my personal opinion he shares one of the best pro-feline arguments that I have ever heard in the 2000 comedy "Meet The Parents."

"So you need that assurance do you? You prefer an emotionally shallow animal? You see Greg, when you yell at a dog, his tail will go between his legs and cover his genitals, his ears will go down. A dog is very easy to break, but cats make you work for their affection, they don't sell out the way dogs do."

I cannot agree more with De Niro on this one. Since you have to work for the cat's affection it means that much more when you get it. The bond is stronger and it's something that you can't achieve with an animal that you can hit repeatedly and will keep coming back. The best relationships are those based on mutual respect, which is something a dog will never have, but something a cat needs.

2 comments:

  1. It's nice to have a dog's unconditional love!

    also
    1) I don't walk my dog- i just let her run around outside
    2) My dog is trustworthy to be left at home alone
    3) My dog doesn't really drool.

    BOOM argument debunked :)

    but i've got to admit you have a great support in deniro.. even if it was a line just written for him :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mutual respect will take you far in life!

    ReplyDelete