Just a blog about movies, sandwiches and a bunch of other random stuff.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Kristen Wiig, I love You, But..

Disclaimer: I love Kristen Wiig. Yes, I ma now groan when I see Target Lady or Penelope, but the first six or seven times they did those skits I fell off the couch laughing every time. I'm the kid who watches "Saturday Night Live" when it airs and then gets annoyed when my friends bring up the sketches three weeks later. On paper, I should love "Bridesmaids". But I don't. And here's two reasons why:

1. I'm not a girl. I think this is the main issue for me and personally I feel that this movie was important for the same reason. Women needed to prove they're funny again. Tin Fey is the only one people ever think about with Ellen DeGeneres stuck in daytime television and Amy Poehler hidden in the underrated "Parks and Recreation". Just like women needed someone to stand behind in comedy they also needed some bit of toilet humor that it was socially acceptable to laugh at. At least, that's the only reason I can think of including the scene at the dress fitters.

2. I could barely sit through all two hours with this movie and watch Kristen Wiig's character self-destruct like she does. Some may argue that that didn't worry them because it's a comedy and therefore there's no reason to worry, everything was guaranteed to turn out well. Well, I disagree, her character was so self-destructive I honestly couldn't believe her character was real anymore and that everything would turn out all right.

Yes, it has some funny parts and I really, really wanted to like it. I just couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment