Just a blog about movies, sandwiches and a bunch of other random stuff.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

No Hangover This Time Around


By now we've all read plenty of reviews of "The Hangover: Part II" saying it's a repeat of the first, so I don't need to mention the stars (Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms) and I don't need to include that it made over $100 million dollars in the domestic box office by Sunday ($137.4 million to be precise). It's still a great movie in its own right, and the characters are equally defined and hilarious in this installment.

What I will do instead is wonder aloud about the numerous Billy Joel references in the movie
  1. Above Alan's bed is a giant poster of the cover art to Billy Joel's 1980 album "Glass Houses"
  2. During one of the landscape montages, Billy Joel's 1989 song "The Downeaster Alexa" plays (the irony about this, is that I was watching it in a theater on Nantucket, one of the places in the song, but unfortunately no one else in the theater picked up on that)
  3. Stu's song in this movie is "Alan Town" a clever play on Billy Joel's 1982 song "Allentown"
I'm sure there are more references that I didn't pick up on, but it's cool that Todd Phillips threw them in there. I'm sure I'll be watching it again, so I can pick up more of the references and I can actually try and hear all of the jokes over every laughing this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment